Cucumber Kimchi [Oisobaggi]
It’s getting hotter in South Korea (We reached 33℃ the other day) as summer just stated here. So I was thinking what food would be good to cool me down. Then finally ended up with this recipe; Cucumber Kimchi!!
As you know cucumber has great crunchy texture and high water content which helps you to get your lost appetite back in hot season, so most of Korean make Kimchi with cucumber in summer. In addition, this Kimchi is less spicy than normal cabbage Kimchi. For that reason, it’s good for kids for their first try at eating Kimchi
Pre time: 50mins
Cook time: 20mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 6 Cucumbers
- ⅓ Carrot (70g)
- a bunch of chives or green onion (120g)
- ⅓ cup of Sea salt (6 Tbsp)
For the filling
- 5 Tbsp Chili powder
- 3 Tbsp Fish sauce (Anchovy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp minced Spring onion
- 1 Tbsp minced Garlic
- 1½ tsp minced ginger
1. Cut both ends of each cucumber. And cut it into 5cm piece. (cut a cucumber into 3 pieces)
2. Give a cross cut from the cut edged top toward the bottom, but leave 1cm uncut at the bottom. Place the cucumber pieces on a large bowl.
3. Boil 1 ½ liter of water ( 6cups) with ⅓ cup of sea salt (6Tbsp) to make salt water.
4. Pour the salted boiling water onto the cucumber pieces. Let them sit for 40mins.
5. Meanwhile, Make the filling. First, Mince the spring onion, garlic and ginger.
6. Chop the chives and carrot into 0.5cm pieces.
7. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl.
8. Add chopped chives and carrots in a bowl. Mix them well gently with your hand.
9. Drain cucumber pieces in a strainer for 10-15mins.
10. Open up the cross cut gently with your hand. Stuff with 1-2Tbsp filling mixture. Then rub the surface of cucumber piece with the sauce.
11. Put them in a container. Let them sit in a room temperature over night and keep it in the fridge afterward. You can store it up to 2-3weeks in the fridge.
2-3 days later, your cucumber kimchi will be just right to eat.
- Place a wide pan or plate on the cucumber pieces to push them down into the salted water. ( step 4 )
- Soaking cucumbers in the salted boiling water helps it to have the crunch texture when the Kimchi fermented. ( step 4 )
- Mix them gently. If you use too much pressure, the chives will be soggy.
- Cucumber Kimchi goes bad quicker than normal cabbage Kimchi as it contains more moisture.
Quick Korean Words
Oi [오이] = Cucumber