Fish Cake stew[Eomuk-Tang]
Today, I want to let you know delicious Korean soup made with fish cakes. Many Korean people enjoy this soup when they drink Soju because the taste of Soju is too strong as it is. Also you can see many food stalls sell this soup in winter. Ohh, not only the fish cake skewers are delicious but also the soup makes my body warm from the cold weather
Fish cakes may sound a bit unfamiliar to you as an ingredient. But it’s often used in many Asian recipes, especially for soup or side dishes. Fish cake is called ‘Odeng‘ or ‘Eomuk‘ in Korean.
Ingredients ( 6 skewers )
- 6 sheets of Fish cakes
- 1/6 White radish (200g)
- 1 Spring onion (1/2 white part / green part)
- 15 Dried anchovies
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Red chili
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 3 Crown daisies
- 6 Wooden skewers
- 7 cups of water
- a pinch of pepper
For seasoning the soup
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Cooking wine (optional)
- 1/3 tsp Salt
For Dipping sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Minced spring onion
- 1/3 Tbsp vinegar
- 5 Drops of sesame oil
- 1 tsp Water
1. Cut the radish and chili like the picture below.
2. Add 7 cups of water in a pot and boil with onion, 1/2 Spring onion, radish, garlic cloves and dried anchovies for 30mins on medium heat.
(Make sure you remove the anchovy’s heads and black parts from the inside before use.)
3. Meanwhile, Prepare the fish cake skewers. Also make the dipping sauce.
4. After 30mins of boiling, take the all ingredients out from the broth except the radish .
5. Add the fish cake skewers in the broth.
6. Season the broth with soy sauce, salt and cooking wine.
7. Boil it 5 more minutes with lid on, low heat.
8. After 5mins, add chopped chili and spring onion(green part).
9. Finally, add 3 crown daisies and a pinch of pepper to the soup and turn off the heat.
I suddenly want to have some soju with it tonight haha . Hope you like the recipe!
- Please make sure you don’t boil the fish cake too long, otherwise it becomes too soft and will get out of shape.
- If you want it little bit more spicy, add some chili flakes.
- Instead of dried anchovies, you can use dried shrimps or dried kelp for broth.
- Let kids eat this without the skewers because the skewers can be stabbed in their throat.
Quick Korean Words
Odeng [오뎅]/ Eomuk [어묵] = Fish cake
Tang [탕] = Stew