Kimchi Fried Rice [Kimchi Bokkeumbap]
This is one dish that I cooked almost everyday when I lived with my younger sister and brother in Buyeo. I lived an entire year with them without parents so as the eldest sister I had to cook for them everyday. This dish is very convenient for transportation and school.
I discovered this dish one day as a university student. I was in a big hurry to prepare their meals in the morning, so I just fried every left over vegetables with kimchi, and my sister and brother loved it!
What’s even more is that it’s so quick and easy that you don’t need any skill or special ingredients. Just fry whatever you have in the refridgerator together in a pan It usually always turns out great!
I will use some common ingredients in this recipe, but you can pretty much use whatever you like.
“Enjoy Korean food your way!”
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 ½ Steamed rice (400g or 14 oz)
- Fermented kimchi (160g or 6 oz)
- Chopped ham or spam (120g or 5 oz)
- 2/3 chopped carrot (50g or 2 oz)
- ½ chopped onion (50g or 2 oz)
- Chopped broccoli (60g or 2 oz)
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Egg and salt
1. Chop all the ingredients.
2. Cool the steamed rice.
3. Fry ham pieces in a pan until it turns slicely brown.
4. Add kimchi, carrot and onion pieces.
5. Fry together for 5 minutes on low heat.
6. Add the rice and broccoli pieces to the pan.
7. Add one tablespoon of sesame oil and sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Fry them for a further 5 minutes on low heat, stirring often.
9. Serve with a fried egg on top. Enjoy your kimchi fried rice!
- Squeeze kimchi gently before chopping to remove excess juice.
- Ham contains some oil so you won’t need to add any oil when you frying the ham pieces.
- Warm rice or newly cooked rice might be too sticky to get good fried rice. Long grain also good.
- You can add tomato ketchup or mayonnaise on top of the fried egg for more flavor.
You can serve the kimchi fried-rice with egg on the other way.