Korean Marinated Beef [Bulgogi]
Here is the recipe guaranteed that you will love! It’s Bulgogi!
I think Bulgogi is the most well-known Korean food abroad other than Kimchi. It uses thinly sliced beef and sweet soy sauce for marinating. (There are two different types of bulgogi. One is beef with sweet soy sauce and the other is pork with spicy chili sauce.)
I have cooked bulgogi so many times in Australia whenever somebody visited my house. It was the only Korean food that I can think everyone could enjoy without difficulty. And indeed, people loved it!
So I hope you enjoy this recipe too
· Pre time: 15mins (1hour for marinating)
· Cooking time: 10mins
Ingredients ( serves 2)
- Thinly sliced Beef (500g /17 oz)
- ½ Carrot (100g/3.5 oz)
- 1 Onion (150g/5 oz)
- 3 Mushrooms (40g/1.5 oz)
- ½ Spring onion
For Marinade sauce
- 6 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp grated Onion
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cooking wine – optional
- 1 Tbsp chopped Spring onion – use head
- ½ Tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp chopped Garlic
- Pinch of Pepper
- Pinch of Sesame seeds.
1. Mix all the marinade sauce ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add the marinade sauce to beef slice. And mix it well.
3. Rap the bowl and marinated beef in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Overnight even better.
4. Cut all the vegetables into thin 6cm strips.
5. Oil the pan. Fry the onion and carrot strips on medium heat for 2mins.
6. Add the marinated beef and mushroom slices. Fry them all on high heat while stirring.
7. When the beef almost cooked, turn the heat off. And add chopped spring onion and mix all well.
8. Serve it hot with steamed rice or lettuce. Enjoy your Bulgogi!
- Fry the beef slices on high heat quickly as frying too long makes beef tough.
- You can substitute granted kiwi or pear for onion.
Quick Korea Words
Bul [불] = Fire
Gogi [고기] = Meat
* Bulgogi literally means ‘Fire meat’ in Korean.