Korean spicy chicken skewer[Dakkochi]
I eat chicken almost every day. This wonderful ingredient allows me to create anything tasty. Chicken Schnitzel, bulgogi, noodles, pasta etc. Depending on methods, it’s tender, soft and juicy.
Today, I want to show you how to make one of my favorite Korean street foods ‘Dakkochi‘. Last year, my boyfriend came to Korea and fell in love with Dakkochi. He said it has so many flavors and easy to eat, in addition it is so cheap!’(1000won-1500won each, it might be cheap for him as he’s Australian:-P but not to me.) You might see chicken skewer stall in front of school or you can see chicken skewer product in any convenient stores in Korea. It’s that popular and we love it!
The taste is quite spicy. So if you prepare this for kids, you can control the amount of chilli paste depending on their taste.
Ingredients (10 skewers)
- Chicken thigh fillets (350g= about 12.5 oz)
- 3 Spring onion (40g= 1.5 oz)
- Ground peanuts for a garnish
- 2 Tsp Cooking wine
For the sauce
- 2 Tbs Chilli paste
- 3 Tbs tomato ketchup
- 2 Tbs Starch syrup (or honey)
- 2 Tsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tsp Crushed garlic
1. Cut the chicken into 2cm(0.8 inches) pieces.
2. Marinate the chicken with 2Tsp of cooking wine and a little bit of pepper for 20minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
4. Cut the spring onion into 2cm(0.8 inches) lengths.
5. Thread the chicken and spring onion onto skewers like a picture below.
6. Add a little bit of olive oil to the pan, heat on low-medium.
7. Grill the chicken skewers for 1minutes on each side on medium heat(don’t cook them too done). Put them on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
8. Coat on all sides of chicken and spring onion with sauce.
9. Grill the skewers 2minutes on each side on low-medium heat.
10. After 4minutes, re-coat the chicken with remaing sauce. Grill 1-2 more minutes on each side.
11. Sprinkle the ground peanuts on the chicken skewers. Serve immediately.
- If you don’t have cooking wine, you can use milk instead.(step2)
- Make sure you don’t cook the chicken too done because we grill the chicken later again.(step7)
- As many as you re-coat the chicken, the taste will be better.(step10)
- You can enjoy the chicken skewers topped with mustard or mayonnaise.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Do you have a favorite korean dish that you would like to learn? Leave your request in the comments below!