Korean spicy rice cakes [Dukbokki]
Korean spicy rice cakes[Dukbokki] is the most popular korean street food among foreigners. many korean children and young adults also like that so much including me You might be able to fine it easily at food vendors on the street of Korea. There are always delicious Dukbokki boiling and ready to go.
It is made with mainely rice cakes[garaetteok; cylinder shaped rice cake], fish cakes, boiled egg and seasoned with chili paste. The rice cakes are chewy and tender.It looks super spicy and originally it is! But you can control the amount of chili paste then it’s less hot. Nowadays,another fusion are made such as Royal court dukbokki seasoned with soy sauce, Cheese dukbokki, Rabokki with noodles.
Someday, try Dukbokki at food stalls in Korea. You will be able to have the great taste of Korean street food =)
Watch the Video
(right click, Save Link As)
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Rice cakes ( for 2 serves)
- 2 pieces fish cakes
- 1 Spring onion
- ½ onion
- Dried anchovies
For the sauce
- 3 Tbs chilli paste
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs starch syrup
1. Boil 3 cups of water with dried anchovies for 10minutes.
2. Meanwhile, separate rice cakes.
3. Cut onion, spring onion and fish cakes into big slices.
4. After 10minutes, take all anchovies out.
5. Put the rice cakes, fish cakes and onion in the pan.
6. Add the sauce.
7. Boil them for 5minutes over medium heat,stirring occasionally.
8. After 5minutes, add spring onion and sesame seeds.
9. Boil it 3 more minutes. Then it’s finished!
- If you use frozen fice cakes, just defrost them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Don’t boil the rice cakes for too long, otherwise it will be mushy.
Dduck[떡]= Rice cakes
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you have a request for a korean recipe,
please leave it in the comments below!