Korean Spicy stir-fry tofu[Mapa Dubu]
Ni hao everyone:-)
I want to introduce you one of the Korean-Chinese dishes today. It’s called ‘Mapa Dubu‘ in Korean. Dubu means tofu (it sounds very similar to English word, doesn’t it?) and Mapa is from the woman in China who created this dish. I usually don’t enjoy Korean-Chinese food as they are quite oily. But I love Mapa Dubu! It’s spicy so it’s good with tofu which doesn’t have a strong taste. And it’s quite healthy as the main ingredient is tofu which is a highly nutritious, protein-rich food!
I made the recipe less spicy and oily. I also added some beef mince so people can try it without difficulty, even kids will definitely enjoy it!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 pack of Tofu (400g) – hard tofu recommended
- Beef mince (180g)
- 1/2 Onion (100g)
- 1/4 Red capsicum (40g) – or 1 red chilli
- 1 Spring onion
- 1 Tbs Corn starch powder – to thicken the sauce
- 1 Tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Tsp chopped garlic
To season the beef mince
- 1/2 Tbs Soy sauce
For the sauce
- 1 Tbs Chilli paste
- 1 Tbs Soy bean paste
- 1 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Starch syrup (or a Tbs of Rice syrup/Sugar)
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
1. Cut tofu into cube-shaped pieces 1cm*1cm.
2. Chop the onion, red capsicum and spring onion.
3. Season the beef mince with 1 Tbs of soy sauce and a little bit of pepper. Then marinate it for about 10minutes.
4. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
5. Make the starch paste with 1 Tbs of corn starch powder and 2 Tbs of water.
6. Add 1 Tbs of olive oil. Then fry the tofu cubes on medium heat until golden brown (for around 8minutes).
7. Add 1 Tsp oil, 1 Tsp chilli powder and 1 Tsp chopped garlic to the pan. Fry for 1 minute while stirring.
8. Add the seasoned mince and fry all together on the medium heat until cooked.
9. Pour 1 cup of water to the pan.
10. When it starts boiling, add the sauce. Stir.
11. Add the tofu and vegetables except spring onion. Simmer for 5minutes on a low heat while stirring gentily.
12. After 5minutes, add spring onion and the corn starch paste little by little while stirring.
- Frying tofu cubes makes tofu harder, otherwise the tofu is easily broken.(step 6)
- If you have chilli oil, you can use 1 Tsp of that instead of using olive oil and chilli powder.(step 7)
- The corn starch paste thickens the sauce. But too much starch paste makes the sauce too thick.(step 12)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Do you have a favourite korean dish that you would like to learn? Leave your request in the comments below!