Korean Spinach side dish [Sigeumchi Namul]
In this post I will introduce to you the most popular spinach side dish in Korea (yes there is more than one). Koreans enjoy their vegetable side dishes relatively unseasoned, so that you can still taste the original flavour of the vegetable. Some rules of thumb are: Never over cook and Never add too much sauce
(right click, Save Link As)
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Spinach 200g
- 1 Tsp Salt
For the sauce
- 2/3 Tbs Soy sauce
- 2/3 Ts Sugar
- 1/2 Tbs Minced garlic
- 1 Tbs Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
1. Cut the ends off the spinach.
2. Wash the spinach in cold water and drain well.
3. Blanch the spinach in the boiling water with 1 Tsp of salt for 10-15seconds. Put the root part first because it takes longer to cook.
4. Rinse the spinach in cold water.
5. Squeeze the water out of the spinach.
6. Add all the sauce ingredients and mix it together.
7. Finally, add 1 Tbs of sesame oil and a little bit of sesame seeds. Mix again.
- Boil the spinach quickly (10-15seconds), otherwise it loses its nutrition.
- Add the sesame oil at the end. If you put sesame oil before sauce, the spinach may not get seasoned because the oil will coat the spinach.
- The root of the spinach is the most tasty and has most nutrition. So don’t waste this part.
If you would like to try spicy one, here it is! This spinach dish is a little bit spicy and sour. All the steps are same as original one, just use the spicy sauce instead.
For the sauce:
- 2/3 Tbs Chilli paste
- 1/2 Tsp Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Minced garlic
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you have a request for a korean recipe,
please leave it in the comments below!