Korean Tofu with Stir-fried Kimchi and Pork [Dubu Kimchi]
When I was young, my mum used to make delicious tofu meal. Every Friday night, a truck which sells fresh warm tofu passed through my village. The driver played the speaker so loudly all over the village, everyone could hear “TOooFuuu, here is the delicious ToooooooFuuuuu“. As soon as my mum heard the truck coming, she asked me to quickly go out and buy a tofu. On the way home with warm tofu on my hands, my mouth was already watering.
Everyone know that Tofu is healthy ingredients. However it taste so boring to me. Don’t you agree? :S
So here is the recipe from my childhood that you can enjoy tofu with more flavor. This dish called Dubu Kimchi (Tofu Kimchi). It’s warm tofu with fried fermented kimchi with pork. The way to eat is to put some fried kimchi pork on a tofu piece and eat in one bite.
(right click, Save Link As)
Pre time: 20mins
Cooking time: 30mins
Ingredients (serve 1-2)
- 1 pack of Tofu (300g)
- Fermented Kimchi (300g)
- Pork (300g)
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Green onion
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup (sugar)
- a pinch of sesame seeds
For marinate sauce:
- 1 Tbsp Korean Chili paste (Gochujang)
- 1/2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- a pinch of Pepper
1. Chop the pork into small pieces.
2. Add all the marinate sauce ingredients in a bowl with the pork pieces.
3. Marinate it in the fridge until needed.
4. Cut the onion and green onion into 1cm think.
5. Chop the well-fermented kimchi. ( Take off the excess sauce from kimchi if needed.)
6. Oil the pan. Fry the pork for 1 minute over medium heat.
7. Add chopped kimchi and onion. Fry them for 3 minutes over medium heat.
8. Add 5 Tbsp water. Fry them for 5 more minutes on low heat while stirring.
9. After 5 minutes, put 1 tsp minced garlic and 1 Tbsp starch/corn syrup (sugar). Add more sugar if needed.
10. Turn the heat off. Add chopped green onion and pinch of sesame seeds.
11. Boil a block of tofu in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. (quick way: microwave it for 2-3 minutes)
12. Take the tofu out carefully. Slice it into mouthful size.
13. Serve the tofu with fried kimchi pork while it’s warm. Enjoy it!
- Use pork belly part. It makes fried kimchi softer. (I don’t often use pork belly because of too much fat. But it takes better with using pork belly.)
- For quicker way to get warm tofu. Microwave tofu for 3 minutes instead of boiling it.
- Starch/Corn syrup adds glossiness to the dish. But you can replace it with sugar. You may need to add more sugar depending on how sour or salty your kimchi is.
Quick Korean Words
- Dubu [두부] = Tofu
- Gimchi [김치] = Kimchi (The Korean pronunciation for Kimchi is more like “G”imchi)
- Doeji Gogi [돼지 고기] = Pork (‘Doeji‘ means pork and ‘Gogi‘ means meat in Korean.)