Noodles with Black bean paste[Jajangmyeon]
Here is another Korean-Chinese dish for you! It’s Jajangmyeon which is the most popular Korean-Chinese dish in Korea. The sauce is sweet, full-flavored and contains lots of vegetables.
Many Koreans order Jajangmyeon at home, they actually have it delivered to their home and it’s very quick, sometimes only takes 15minutes to get the delivery! In addition,it’s free delivery
Do you know ‘The Black Day’ in Korea? It’s on April 14th for single people. They eat Jajaingmyeon on this day to comfort themselves. In addition, there is a rumor that if a couple eat Jajangmyeon together on the day, they might be separated in near future. Believe or not
Watch the Video
Pre time: 10minutes
Cooking time: 20minutes
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Thick white noodles (400g or 15 oz) – Udon noodles
- Diced pork (180g or 7 oz)
- 1 Potato (150g or 5 oz)
- 1 Carrot (80g or 3 oz)
- 1 Onion (150g or 5 oz)
- 1/4 Cabbage (200g or 7 oz)
For the sauce
- 2 Tbs Black bean paste
- 2 Tbs Oil
- 1 Tbs Crushed garlic
- 2 Tbs Cooking wine (optional)
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Sesame oil (optional)
- 2Tbs Corn starch powder
1. Cut all the vegetables and pork into half cm(0.2 inches) of cube shape.
2. Add 2Tbs of oil. Fry 2 Tbs of black bean paste on medium heat for 5minutes. Stir constantly.
3. After 5 minutes, put the pork, potatoes and carrots to the pan.
4. Add all the sauce ingredients(except starch powder). Fry them until the pork is cooked. Stir well.
5. When the pork has been cooked, add the remaining vegetables.
6. Pour one and half cup of water to the pan. Boil it until the potatoes are cooked. If potatoes take long time to be cooked, you can add more water to keep enough sauce while boiling.
7. Taste the sauce. Season with sugar or salt depending on the taste. Turn the heat down to low.
8. Make starch paste with 2 Tbs of corn starch powder and water. Pour it little by little to the pan while stirring. If the sauce is thick enough, stop pouring it.
9. Add half a teaspoon of sesame oil (optional).
10. Boil the noodles until it’s cooked properly (for around 3-4minutes).
11. Serve immediately.
- Fry black bean paste before use, otherwise, it tastes bitter.
- You can use boiled egg, cucumber strips or green peas for a garnish.
- Prepare the noodles before serving because it’s easy to be cooked.
- If sauce is too thick, you can add more water or skip using starch paste (step 8).
Chunjang[춘장]: Black bean paste
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Do you have a favorite korean dish that you would like to learn? Leave your request in the comments below!