Spicy Marinated Pork [Dwaeji Bulgogi]
Bulgogi is most well-known Korean food along with Kimchi. It has two different types; Sweet beef bulgogi, Spicy pork bulgogi.
This is the spicy version of Bulgogi. (For the recipe for Sweet Bulgogi, click HERE )
Sweet beef bulgogi can be prepared whether grilled or pan-fried. But spicy pork bulgogi is usually pan-fried. You can enjoy bulgogi with leaf green vegetables such as lettuce and sesame leaves. The main ingredient is chili paste (Gochujang), so it’s quite spicy which is good to eat with steamed rice. To get more tasty bulgogi, make sure to marinate it long enough. I usually make the mixture at night and let it marinated over night in a fridge. Then it turns out with great taste and soft texture for dinner next day
(right click, Save Link As)
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Pork 450g / 15 ounce (Pork belly is recommended)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Spring onion
For basic sauce:
- Cooking wine 2 Tbsp (optional)
- Ginger powder 1/2 tsp
- Minced garlic 1 tsp
For marinate sauce:
- Korean Chili paste (Gochujang) 3Tbsp
- Chili flakes 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce 1 Tbsp
- Sugar 1 Tbsp
- Corn syrup/ Starch syrup 1 Tbsp
- Cooking wine 1Tbsp
- Minced garlic 2tsp
- Sesame oil 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds 1 tsp
1. Cut the pork meat into thin mouthful slices.
2. Make the basic sauce in a bowl.
3. Marinate the pork slices with the basic sauce. Set it aside.
4. Chop the carrot and onion into 0.5 cm thick slice and spring onion into 1 cm length piece.
5. Make the spicy marinate sauce in a big bowl.
6. Mix all ingredients with the sauce.
7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mixture at least for 3 hours. (Recommend to marinate overnight)
8. After 3 hours marinating, oil a pan. Fry the mixture for 5 minutes over high heat.
9. After 5 minutes, turn the heat off and add chopped spring onion. Mix them all well.
10. Serve warm with steamed rice. Enjoy it =)
- The meat marinate sauce reduce the pork smell and add extra flavor. ( step3 )
- If you marinate it over night, we will get full-flavored pork bulgogi. ( step7 )
- Make sure to fry the pork mixture over high-medium heat for juicy pork.
Quick Korean Words
Doeji [돼지] = Pig
Gogi [고기] = Meat ( so ‘Doeji Gogi’ means Pork.)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Do you have a favorite Korean dish that you would like to learn? Leave your request in the comments below!